This article walks you step-by-step through installing and wiring your NSC-DB2 video doorbell without a chime. If your doorbell is already installed, click here to read our NSC-DB2 setup guides.
If you are going to be using a chime, check out our guides on setting up your doorbell with a mechanical chime.
Gather Your Materials
Your NSC-DB2 comes with pretty much everything you need for your installation. Reference the list below to learn about each component that comes included in your box.
- Three Colored Faceplates to easily blend your doorbell into your home's aesthetic.
- The NSC-DB2 3MP Video Doorbell
- A drill bit for perfectly sized holes
- Four wire connectors that you'll use to connect the new doorbell to your current doorbell's wiring
- Two U-Shaped wires to screw into the back of your video doorbell
- A Power Kit which you won't be using, since you won't be setting this doorbell up with a chime.
- A wire harness for the power kit, which you won't be using.
- A level which clicks right into the mounting plates for a quick and accurate installation
- A fuse wire which you'll use to ensure your doorbell has enough power, since you won't be using the power kit.
- A two-sided screwdriver which you'll use on your Phillips head screws and the security screws which will secure your doorbell's faceplate
- Three wedge mounting plates so you can decide which configuration works for you; also included, but not seen in the picture, is a foam sticker for stabilizing the mounting plate on a rough wall
- Mounting hardware for installing the mounting plate into the wall at your front door; also included, but not seen in the picture, is the mounting hardware used for fixing the wires into your doorbell, screwing your doorbell onto the mounting plate, and securing the faceplate onto the doorbell.
Additional tools you may need
- A Drill
- A Pencil
Remove Your Old Doorbell
If there is already a doorbell installed, remove your old doorbell by unscrewing it from the wall and disconnecting the two wires. Be sure to hold onto these wires, because you'll connect these to your new video doorbell. If there is no previous doorbell and you're adding the NSC-DB2 from scratch, you'll need to run two wires from your door to a transformer.
Attach Your Mounting Plate to the Wall
Decide which mounting plate works best for your door and insert the level into the center of the mounting plate. Line up the mounting plate on your wall and determine the best location. It should be about 4 feet (1.2 meters) above the ground. Once your mounting plate is level, place two marks in the holes for the drill points.
Using the included drill bit, drill holes into the wall about 1 to 1.2 inches deep.
(OPTIONAL) If the wall is rough, you can attach the foam piece to the back of the mounting plate for a sturdier installation.
Insert the anchors into the wall, remove the level from the mounting plate, and fix the mounting plate to the wall using the two mounting screws.
Mount Your Doorbell
Remove the faceplate on your doorbell by pulling up from the bottom. Using the fixing screws, attach the two U-shaped wires to the back of your doorbell. Using the included wire connectors, connect one of the wires from the installation site to the U-Shaped wire on your doorbell. It doesn't matter which wire you use.
Now take your fuse wire and connect one end to the second U-shaped wire and connect the other end to the second doorbell wire.
Fix the doorbell into your mounting plate using the two doorbell screws. Leave the faceplate off of your doorbell for now.
Power Your Doorbell
To connect your doorbell to power, connect the other end of your wires to a transformer. We recommend using either a 16 VAC or 24 VAC Transformer.
Activate Your Doorbell
Restore power to your doorbell by turning the breaker back on. Your doorbell's status light should light up red and then start flashing blue. At this point, you'll use your mobile phone to activate your doorbell and connect it to your network. Click here to read our guide for activating your doorbell.
Once your doorbell is activated, press the desired faceplate into place. Using the included screwdriver, fix the faceplate into place by screwing the security screws into the bottom of the faceplate.
Congratulations! You've completed the installation for your NSC-DB2!